Saturday, March 12, 2011

Happy Saturday

At 6am we realized that we had no power.  I have no idea how long it was off but it couldn't have been that long since it wasn't freezing in the house yet (and with temperatures of -52 C the house would get pretty cold pretty fast!).  Thankfully it came on an hour later.  While this turned out to be "no big deal" at the time, it did concern me a little.  Brian had told me that THE electrician was out of town.  Yikes.  I hope they have a backup!  I wondered what we would do and where we would go.  Brian mentioned something about setting up the generator for the detachment so I was picturing myself and the 3 boys in there making the best of it, eating sandwiches.  And then of course I thought of all the people throughout the past number of years (and right now) having to go through devastation, including no electricity, all the while dealing with young children.  My prayers were repeated for everyone in Japan.

Back to my own little world.  I was so excited that Brian had found 10% cream yesterday at the Northern.  This morning I checked the date and it expired today.  Oh well, I thought, I'll get a couple of days out of it at least.  Well, the cream fell in chunks in my coffee.  Not impressed.

Yesterday I received one of my orders from Well.ca and was happy to get my my Greens + bars (healthy bars).  I had never tasted one before so when I took my first bite and it tasted kinda "off" I didn't know if it was normal (Greens+ is a kind of supplement made from all kinds of sprouts and vegetables) or if they were bad.  Well the taste was worse with every bite and it took me a couple more bites to decide that yup, they were completely covered in mold.  VERY NOT IMPRESSED.  I thought I was going to be sick.  The expiry date was fine.  I called the company and they will send a replacement box once they get my receipt in the mail and they will let Well.ca know about it.

Well, the young girls are either courageous, eager, crazy, silly or immune to it (or all of the above) since it was -55 C last night and there they were at my door at 7:30pm sharp.  Last night was movie night.  I had planned for them to come over to watch a "girly" movie once the boys were in bed.  I was quite excited since I was going to make them watch my all-time favourite movie growing up "The Princess Bride".  I watched that movie countless times over the course of many sleepovers over many years.  I realize that I have a desire to spend time with young girls because they are the girls I will never have.  I can do (some of) the things that I've always looked forward to doing with my girls, if I had any.  And now that the verdict is in, I still want to do these things, but I will have to borrow other people's daughters to do them.  They remind me of me when I was their age and at the same time they make me feel old ;o)  There they were pigging out on chips, juice and popcorn, being silly and having laugh attacks all the while I sat there listening intently to every line, eating my disgusting Smart Pop! and controlled portion of baked chips.  We had fun and they want to do this every two weeks.  I don't have enough girly movies to do that but maybe I could pull it off once a month.  I think next month's movie will be Ever After.

Well, it was nice to sit here with my coffee (whitened with Coffee Mate) this morning but I have a class to prepare for (this aft) and some cleaning to do (the never ending job)

3 comments:

  1. I wish I were going to be there next time. Ever After is one of my all time favotites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ever After as well. Also have it on DVD. Have you looked into the library shipment thing? Would they include DVDs in that? Just a thought.

    By the way, I agree with you about the Smart Pop. Not very tasty. I much prefer home made microwave popcorn, thank you, and I doubt it has more calories than the Smart Pop. You need a paper lunch bag, 1/4-1/3 c. unpopped corn (duh), 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil. Put corn & oil in bag, tape the top shut, put in microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 min on high, dump in bowl, salt to taste. I put my bag on a plate, by the way, because the oil soaks into the bag and I don't want to have to clean my microwave turntable every time I make it.

    Oh, and did you check out the cans of evaporated milk? My parents drink it in their coffee every day. It doesn't spoil as quickly as cream and it's much better than the powdered whitener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there,

    My name is Glorien and I'm from Well.ca. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your Greens + bars. We will definitely be talking to Greens+ about this issue. If you have any future problems about any orders, please feel free to contact our customer care team at contactus@well.ca. We will help you in any way they can!

    Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience. We do hope to see you again!

    Glorien

    ReplyDelete