Sunday, February 20, 2011

Food Issues

The very high food prices in Arctic Bay are getting national attention these days.  Arctic Bay is one of the most northern communities in Nunavut after Grise Fjord, Resolute Bay, Nanisivik and Pond Inlet.  While our food prices here in Coral Harbour aren't quite as high (Cheez Whiz in Arctic Bay is $30 while here the price is $20) people here still suffer high prices.  The other day I spared Brian a heart attack and took the kids after school to buy ice cream at the Northern for Nathan's birthday (it's what Nathan WANTS for his birthday!).  Poor Brian would have had a cardiac event had he witnessed me pay $20 for a 1.66L tub of Breyers Heavenly Hash (the only chocolatey kind).  Of course all of you know I'm only PARTIALLY kidding!  Of course Brian is fine with me buying ice cream for a special occasion, but had it been up to him, I'm sure he would have found a way to make make frozen milk taste good.  Anyway below is a link to an article that was sent to me by my friend Jen in Ottawa about these high food prices.(my friend Karen sent me a link to learn how to hyperlink in my blog but I haven't checked it out yet but I will!)
  
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/Arctic+communities+choke+high+food+prices/4300172/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment