Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Jobinne"

The French "word" jobinne (job-in) has always been used by my dad.  He uses it to refer to a small job or short contract (my dad is a drywaller and often does these little jobs on weekends).  Well anyway, I have a jobinne.  In other words, I have a small job, a short contract.  I wasn't looking for a job but it found me.  I got a call on Friday from a lady I've never me from the Health Centre asking me if I would like to teach a class about healthy eating and exercise.  I still have no idea where she heard about me (or WHAT she heard about me) but after thinking about it, talking to Brian about it, getting more information, and setting my stipulations, I've decided to accept.  Here's the rundown.  I will be teaching two classes a week, each lasting two hours.  They will be held on Wednesdays, one in the morning and one in the evening (to be able to reach as many people as possible) and I'll be teaching the same material for both classes.  My first class is on Wednesday!!!  Yup, in 3 days.  I've decided to break the class down into four major parts:  1) Health Topic 2) Making a recipe together 3) Exercise education component 4) Eating.  I figure the chances are better of people actually coming in if there's food involved!  My lesson plan is pretty much done.  I have decided to start by focusing on beverages (people here drink sooooo much pop despite how expensive it is) and the plain and simple exercise of walking (people here aren't used to exercising in the way we do in the South like I've mentioned in a previous entry).

I am really really excited about this opportunity.  Especially it being so soon after we've moved since this opens the doors to meeting new people but also maybe to be a resource person for a while.   I am excited because health and nutrition for the Inuit people has been on my heart since I moved here.  Even on Friday night, I was telling the girls that they were going to get sick of me giving them healthy foods to eat and one of them replied "it's ok Tania.  My mom only buys junk every two weeks when she gets her money.  So we eat healthy food here."  How heart breaking.  How exciting that maybe some moms will be in my class!  On paper I'm not necessarily qualified to do this (I'm not a nutritionist) but I know the basics, and people here NEED the BASICS.  I have to keep it simple.  Nothing too complicated.  I can do that.  I try to provide my family with a basic healthy lifestyle everyday:  no pop, water and milk to drink, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean meats, dairy, outside play and indoor running around...  And so from one mom to another, from an adult to another I do actually feel qualified to do this.  Of course this is now, I wonder how I'll feel Tuesday night - Ha!  Actually I'm treating this like a University presentation (too bad they don't have power point!  Ha!  My physio friends are smiling now!) because that's all I know and I ALMOST always did really well on those (now my physio friends are really smiling because they remember the one my group bombed in first year...).   

I have still lots to learn regarding cultural differences but I'm thrilled that the Canadian Government has a Food Guide especially targeted for Inuit, Metis and First Nations.  I will of course have to tailor everything to what is offered on the Island (no tofu recipes here!) but that will help me understand and get to know the culture better.    

I have so much to say about this and how I feel God, knowing my heart, has opened a door for me without me even asking for it, but it's way past my bedtime.  However I will leave you with these verses from 1 Corinthians: 2:9-12


 “No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
      and no mind has imagined
   what God has prepared
      for those who love him.”
[d]


 10 But[e] it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. 11 No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. 12 And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.


Now while (my understanding of) this passage speaks of the revelation of God's plan for humanity in sending Jesus to be a sacrifice that we may be saved.  I can't help but think that in some way, it applies to my life right now (well at least these are the verses that have been popping in my mind all weekend).  I could never have imagined this opportunity.  I've never dreamed of being a teacher and I don't know much about teaching, but God has taken my budding interest and concern for the health of those around me and turned it into something tangible...  Something I simply couldn't turn down.


   


    

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Tania; I know you'll do a great job. By the way, I'll talk to you sometime this week... I visited my mom this weekend and I have a funny story for you about water tanks. Don't let me forget to tell it to you.

    Love and hugs. We miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! I know you will do a great job and be a wonderful resource to those who go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay and Congrats... so much fun! Hope all went fabulous for you today!! xo

    ReplyDelete