Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Coral Harbour Boot Camp

On Monday I went to my first exercise class.  One of the teachers invited me to join the group of other women to do a program called Slim in 6 (6 weeks).  Essentially, we get together in the library at 4pm, turn on the DVD and burn those calories!  It's awesome! It's motivating!  It's FREE!  The best part is that this program is Monday to Friday (instead of the once a week I thought it was originally!) so I'll get to exercise daily, get out of the house daily without the kids AND get to know a handful of women (some whites some Inuit) over the course of 6 weeks.  I just hope my chronic injuries hold up because this opportunity changes so much for me in terms of having a social life.  Not to mention the fact that some of the friendliest people I've met so far all happen to be in this class!  Coincidence?  I think not.

I had to smile a bit (not in a mean way of course) at the Inuit women in the class.  I don't think they really "do" working out.  They all showed up wearing jeans and inappropriate footwear (one did the exercises barefoot!).  I think that working out might be a foreign concept here.  Women here don't go out much (unless they work).  It's a bit like it was (or my understanding of it) when my grandmother and mother were raising kids.  They stayed home and raised the kids.  They didn't do much for themselves.  No playdates, no trips to the spa, no membership to the gym, not much of anything.  I've never felt this way in the South but here I feel like the mothers (and father's too probably) in our modern societies are far more selfish then they were in the past.  I'm not passing judgement on any generation, it's just my observation.  Anyway I am so glad a few Inuit women have decided to join the group.  I am really looking forward to getting to know them.

Yesterday the class was cancelled because the school had no heat and today I had already made plans with Epiksout.   I am really looking forward to going tomorrow - the break was good however since my muscles are still sore from Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment