Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When it snows it storms

I'm going to start by saying that I'll believe it when I see it.  Apparently, we are getting not one, but two anticipated shipments tonight.  The first, our foodmail order and second, our stuff.  

Foodmail:  There is a program for those of us living in ridiculously remote areas of Canada where the government subsidizes some of the postal costs to have food sent.  So for Coral Harbour there are a few stores that we can order certain food items from and they will airmail them to us.  The major perk here is fresh food at southern prices.  They will not however send canned goods and the list is quite selective.  Apparently, the produce sometimes arrives frozen and it's a real pain to get reimbursed.  I guess, we'll see! 

So our Safeway order is apparently arriving today.  We have been waiting very patiently for items such as skim milk (we can only get 2% here and let me tell you there's a big difference - Brian has not had a glass of milk since we moved), meat (extra lean ground beef, ground turkey, pork tenderloins - none of which you can get here), cheese, cottage cheese, fruits and vegetables.

Our Stuff:  Some of you may not realize (because I haven't explained it!) that we have been living out of our suitcases since we got here 2.5 weeks ago.  While there were a few items at the house when we got here (and the items that Hali so nicely lent us), essentially we've been living with the few essential things that we brought with us on the plane (clothes, 1 set of bed linens each, a few linens, Christmas presents, few toiletries, few cleaning products, few plastic dishes and sippy cups for the boys, humidifiers, etc).  I am really looking forward to all my bakeware, cookware and all things kitchen.  I love to cook and bake and have been lost without my stuff.   

I guess we'll see what happens tonight!  This is exciting...



  

No comments:

Post a Comment